Thursday, October 16, 2008

Science part II

Well, my husband got the speaker phones to work! There were some resisters attached that he removed and it seemed to make the difference. It is VERY cool. The voices are very clear. Science is so cool. Here's the wonderful website I got it from: http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/SpeakPhone/index.html

Casey and I played some educational games this morning and he actually read the word 'blossom'. I was impressed because he decoded it very quickly. He's trying more often to figure out the word and doing less guessing. He's doing it because he wants to and not because he has to. That's my favorite part of his learning to read.

Aria is turning into quite the prolific writer. She seems to be enjoying the blogging and we even found a homeschool blogger that has a lot of kids on it. It's http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/home.php



I am still planning on reading to the kids today, but dear daughter is still in bed. We had a late night. My sweet husband got a fire going for us in the backyard and we all enjoyed a night of sitting around the fire. We played guitar and drummed. It was so wonderful. Aria and I had some GREAT conversation and some wonderful cuddle time.

Casey and I talked about fire, what the sparks are made of, and the gases being released. We talked about the gas being mostly carbon dioxide and that other things that burn release gases, too. Which Casey noticed once when he cut the cord on the oscillating fan, which was plugged in at the time, and it sparked and smoked. (That was scary, let me tell you.)

Aria and I talked about personal things, about whether mermaids were real, what are the Philippines like, who does she look like, are wolves real, are werewolves real, and we talked about what she was like when she was a baby. I felt very close to her last night. I love it when she opens up.

Unschooling has taught me to appreciate that these are true learning experiences. In the past, I would have had these conversations and enjoyed them, but I probably would have forgotten them quickly. I would not have realized that they were much more then conversations with children. These questions are important. This is a need that must be fulfilled and now I can appreciate how much my children are really learning. I don't need a report card full of subjective letter grades to tell me they are learning and they are intelligent beings.

4 comments:

Ruralmama said...

I love those moments when you get to commune in perfect harmony. Lovely.

Lynn said...

Good morning from over the sea!!
Thankyou for your comment on my blog.
Unschooling is changing our lives in ways i would never have thought possible.In a good way;-)
Have you been over to Radical unschoolers Network yet?xx

jbantau said...

Thank you for your comments and thanks for pointing the way to Radical Unschooler Network. It looks very cool. I'll have to check it out.

I'd have to say at this point we adopt aspects of unschooling. We definitely have retained many of the attitudes, but we are more structured then most unschoolers would be comfortable with. I wouldn't trade the lessons learned for anything. Maybe I'll have to blog about it.

Alison Kerr said...

There is something so magical about dark and fire. Something primitive, warm, mysterious, something safe and confiding. I enjoyed reading :-)