Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rainy Day

Stayed up late again with the fire pit, so we got a late start today. The day is rainy and cool, not very condusive to high productivity. We finished Junie B. It ended with a good laugh.




We reviewed our math facts and I think I will start Casey on the next set tomorrow. He zipped right through the current ones. We, also, practiced counting by 5's with a worksheet. Casey is working very hard on his writing skills. I see Aria's handwriting improving, too. The numbers she wrote today seemed more adult some how. Both the children understood the exercise by the time we were done. We should be able to move on to skip counting by 2's by next week. It probably seems backward to count by 10's, then 5's and then 2's but it seems easier to me to learn them in that order.

Aria and I played WAR and she beat me again. I think the laws of probability don't apply to her. Casey and I played Addition Rummy. He wanted to change the rules in the middle of the game. He said this our game and we can make any rules we want, right? I said it'd be more fair to change the rules before we start playing so that we all get a fair chance. But in the end he put down all his cards according to his rules and then pronounced me the winner because he didn't have any cards and I did. What a sweet boy.

The kids then cleaned their rooms like crazy people. We are considering getting them gerbils, but we told them they had to show some sign that they are responsible individuals by cleaning their rooms and keeping them clean. Clean rooms have nothing to do with caring for gerbils, I realize, but...a gerbil could get lost in there and never be seen or heard from again.

Now they are demonstrating their 'karate' skills in the driveway, with a lot of gusto. :)

2 comments:

Alison Kerr said...

Kids excited about tidying! Now that's something to get excited about :-)

I've heard that gerbils make good pets - this from a friend of mine who has been a registered breeder of all sorts of little furry creatures. I also heard that black bear hamsters are more friendly than the other kinds.

Amy Dingmann said...

"Stayed up late with the fire pit again, so we got a late start"...but isn't it so lovely that you can do that!! Sounds to me like you had a pretty productive day...but I know with the rain and the cold it seems to just drag and be blah. I think 10s then 5s then 2s makes total sense.