Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ah, the weekend!

I'm so glad it's the weekend. I think we all needed a little break. I read to the children separately, yesterday. Then we colored and played iknowthat.com. We practiced our worksheet and both the kids are very close to mastering the facts we're working on. We played WAR, again.

Aria wrote a couple of silly songs/poems. One was entitled, "I Like Bacon" and the other was "I Like Candy." Casey practiced the "A" sound and colored a sheet with an ant holding an "A". I sang him a couple of silly "A" songs while he colored.

We made chocolate chip cookies afterward. All in all it was a nice day, yesterday. I've been doing research and good planning for our homeschool days. I'm feel pretty good about the progress we are making and the time we're spending together.

Yesterday, we had some excitement. Casey and his friends accidently stirred up a nest of Yellowjackets. When all was said and done. Three people were stung. Casey has seven stings, but we got him in the tub quickly and poured baking soda in the water. He's fine today.

Today, however, is a day to relax. It's lovely out and we are all enjoying slacking off.

6 comments:

Alison Kerr said...

Ouch on the yellowjackets! How long have you been homeschooling? It took me about three years to figure it out. Keep on keeping on :-)

jbantau said...

We've been homeschooling for a year and a half. Along the way we've tried school-at-home with me writing the curriculum, unschooling, and now I trying to incorporate a little Waldorf-inspired type of curriculm. I am still writing the curriculm myself. We're easing into things after our stint with unschooling, which taught us so many valuable things. Now, though, I feel like we need to do something a little different. I'm really beginning to appreciate my role and I love being with my children. Mostly. :)

Alison Kerr said...

Well, if my experience is indicative you have 1.5 years more to go before you get this cracked!

I pretty much made up our curriculum until this year. I don't think I had enough discipline to get the best from this approach even though we were doing more and more academics every year. This year we are mostly doing computer based learning.

Someone recommended a great book to me a while back. It's called Nebel's Elementary Education. What I like about it is that it explains all of the stuff kids could use a grounding in during the elementary years. It's more of a reference than a curriculum though so it works well for a parent who likes to know what to do, but not necessarily the details of how to do it. I've been thinking about blogging an article about it - I might just do that.

jbantau said...

The reviews on that book are all great. I'll have to put it on my list. I've really found "The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade" a wonderful guide. I'm using that right now as an outline. I agree with your supposition that we will find our homeschooling falling into place in the future. I researched a lot getting into this venture, but it wasn't until I experienced it that I could truly understand. I think as time goes on that experience turns into wisdom. Thank you for the recommendation and the encouragement.

Shirl said...

We love weekends too! Can I ask, what's a "yellowjacket"?

jbantau said...

A Yellowjacket is a mean, predatory wasp that will sting over and over and over just because it feels like it.