Monday, October 13, 2008

Accomplishment

We didn't do much today, but I am happy to report that Casey has the math facts from last week, thoroughly memorized. Aria can count backwards from one hundred by tens. Casey now recognized the W goes up and M goes down. I pretty sure he know what all the the letters of the alphabet say and he is reading a bit. I know he knows M, S, A and E for sure. Neither one of them complains very much when we start school work and they both participate well.

We worked on our math skills a bit and I tried out a bit of the book "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I only read to Aria because I was concerned that some of the book would scare Casey, but Aria wasn't very much interested. I'll have to keep trying to find her forte when it comes to books.

I learned a very special thing yesterday while reading the reviews for the book "Deschooling Gently" by Tammy Takahashi. One of the reviewers listed the chapters in the book. One is entitled Teach Your Child As If No Other Exists. I MUST endeavor to keep that foremost in my mind at all times. I believe with all my heart that comparing and rating children is one of the most damaging things we can do to their self-esteem, but it is, also, a very difficult thing to unlearn. I am hoping to order the book soon. If I can learn something so valuable from a chapter heading, just think what may actually be held in the chapters.

2 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I agree about the dangers of comparison (and how hard it is to unlearn old habits). I find the kids making comparisons themselves. It's hard to shift their focus as it is to shift mine.

Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting on my blog. It's nice to get a chance to (virtually) meet you.

jbantau said...

I'm sure my children are tired of hearing me say, "you are only in competition with yourself". I'm sure the whiney imitations and eye rolling are just around the corner. :)

Glad to meet you too.