Friday, February 1, 2008

Still need improvement

Someone in my house really needs to grow up. Namely, me. I find that I am easily annoyed by being ignored, but I ask for it. I ask my family for their attention when they are in the middle of things and then I am offended when they don't converse with me. So, I vow to do better.

Casey amazed me today with his math skills. He was looking at the front of a workbook. It had pictures of groups of coins. He then proceeds to tell me that 2 and 3 and 6 is 11. Which was impressive enough to me considering we haven't done much in the way of math 'instruction' in the past. Then he describes to me the many ways those can be added. 2 and 2 plus 1 is 5. 3 and 3 is 6. "I can even do it by twos." He says.
I ask, "What's 2 plus 2?"
"Four," he answers.
"And 2 more?" He hesitates and counts it in his head and then answers correctly. We went all the way up to 16. He had to count out some (always in his head) and some he knew right away. Awesome! Both the boys know all their letters and most of the sounds they make. They will learn and there was no forcing. The love of learning will remain intact. Yeah!

1 comment:

singingfamily said...

I find most of the changes in my home start with me, deschooling is so much harder than just living life. Thanks for your comment.
Kelli