Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Science at home

I had a great, personal talk with Aria today. We felt really connected afterward. She joined us when we played with playdough and was thoughtful of me. It was a breath of fresh air. I just have to continue to be calm and reasonable with these children and they will be calm and reasonable in return.

Casey was very sick yesterday. The poor boy bemoaned his miserable state saying, "Mom, I feel really terrible." From a five-year-old, that is so heart-wrenching. He's much better today and we played at a science experiment. First, we added various amounts of sugar to water in four glasses. Then we added food coloring. We tried to layer the water, but it didn't work out so well. Then we layered different substances in the house. Honey, dish soap, colored water, vegetable oil, and rubbing alcohol. That turned out pretty well and we got pictures of that.



After we cleaned the glasses Casey asked if we could fill them and play music by tapping the glasses with spoons. They had a blast from beginning to end with these things.

So, we learned some measurements, some substances are more dense then others, red and yellow make orange, different levels of water in a glasses cause different pitches, honey sticks, rubbing alcohol smells bad, and a million other things I couldn't label.

Meanwhile, Aria is facinated with tornado videos on YouTube. She learned that tornados are caused, at least in part, by the mixing of cool air and warm air. (Thank you Sharkboy and Lavagirl for that lesson.) Ronnie and I both love storms. I told him we'd have to go storm chasing with her sometime.

Oh, and Casey explained to me how I can be the boss of my TV. All I have to do it go to menu or settings, scroll down to On Screen Options, and set my password. I thought, does our TV do that and how does he know? Then I realized he was repeating almost verbatim a commercial for TIVO or something. I had to giggle. He's going to be one of those guys on QVC. I, also, think it is so sweet that he tells about things he thinks I could use. He doesn't repeat everything, but he tells about shammies that soak up big messes, bags that keep your veggies fresh, and how to be the boss of my TV. What a sweetie.

No comments: