Monday, September 22, 2008

What did we do today?

I announced it was the first day of Fall and the kids seemed kinda excited. I read them The Tiny Seed. Casey was riveted, but Aria and Connor were busy playing their own game. I realize the book was way below Aria's level, but I wish she would have let the boys enjoy it.

Then we used their crisp, new, waxy smelling Crayolas. We all colored Fall Themed pictures. We have our 'stained glass' leaf project hanging in the front window and now our coloring pages. It makes me smile to see the season and my children represented. To see evidence of our time together hanging in the window is heart warming.

We went through our math facts according to a method I found online. It suggested teaching only a few facts at a time until they are mastered. Then introduce new ones. Aria didn't like this method because when you get one wrong you have to got back and do two previous problems and the one you missed. She doesn't like extra work, but we got through it. Casey seemed to enjoy this method a little more then Aria.

Then we played Addition War. Aria really liked that game and Casey hated it when he started losing. So he quit and I kept playing with Aria. I'm glad she liked it. They both wanted to play BINGO so we may have to do that tomorrow.

Then it was time for our educational computer games, but Aria chose to READ instead. Last night, too, when I told her it was time to get off the computer she sat at the kitchen table all alone and read for quite some time. It is SO gratifying to see her enjoying a book for the sake of enjoying it.

Casey did play educational games a bit, but he was distracted by some racing game which Connor was playing. So that wasn't very successful, but even the fun games are teaching him something. Usually, strategy and numbers.

I love when we are all sitting together around the table with our math cards or we are all sitting on the bed together with our 'story candle' and a book. I become aware very often of how good it feels for all of us to do these things together and to see the kids enjoying it. These are good days.

No comments: