Friday, September 12, 2008

We have a lot of energy today

We played some fine games today. In an effort to teach all of us a little more empathy I found a fun role playing game. I put several situations in a hat. For example, 'someone one just called you a name'. The person who draws, acts out that situation telling the other person what happened. So, making a sad face and using a very pitiful voice you would say, "someone just called me a name." The other person would then respond appropriately with comfort or a suggestion on how to remedy the situation, i.e. telling a grown up.

Casey and Aria both acted and responded very well. Comforting and identifying with each other and helping each other through their difficulty or their exciting situation. Aria, in particular, enjoyed this game because she could break out her great acting skills. She wanted to create an entire one-act play out of each situation.

We then read more of Beauty and the Beast. The kids were all interested in the story today and paid good attention. I think in the future I need to talk with them more about the story and ask them how the characters are feeling and what they enjoyed about the chapters we read. I need to engage them more to help them experience the story instead of just 2 dimentionally listening.

We then played a rousing game of basketball flashcards. Using addition flashcard today, the children answered and then if they got it correct they took a shot a the basket, a bucket on the floor. If they hit the rim they got 1 point, if they got it in they got 2. A total miss got no points. They were so loud and rambunctous that we could barely continue the game, but I guess that means they enjoyed it. I told them each their scores in private and instructed them not to tell each other. I told them that this is the score they must beat next time and that it was not a competition between the two of them, but are only competing with themselves. I may next time just give them points for answering correctly and then letting the shoot at the basket for extra or no points.

They are now playing on Funbrain again. I think we had a good time today. I feel good about the empathy training and I hope to add similar things weekly. I need it as much as the children do. We get too caught up in our own feelings too often.

No comments: