Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BINGO


We are continuing to study our addition facts. Aria has the ones we're working on memorized. Casey is still struggling a bit. I don't know if I need to go back and do the +2's with him? I think Friday's will be timed test day, but only if the facts are mastered. I think it'll really give them a boost of self esteem if they can do these facts quickly and accurately.

We began reading The Phantom Tollbooth yesterday. So far they are only mildly interested. I think Casey likes it a bit more then Aria does. I wish we could make reading time a little more enjoyable. They are likely to be wandering around or wanting a drink. We could really get into a book in short period of time if they'd quit milling about. :) I need to find a spot in the house that is more fun, dark, comfortable, secret. We need to create a reading fort, I think.



Yesterday, we made a Fall craft from a tracing of their hands. Today we created BINGO cards with addition facts on them. Then we played BINGO. We had a good day. They half-heartedly moaned about doing school but then they participated pretty well.

I feel like we are getting into a good routine. I will slowly add more work over time. I want to add science, history, geography, but I don't want them to be overwhelmed. (I don't want to be overwhelmed for that matter.) I would, also, love to add some type of outing every week. Anything, from park day to visiting the post office. Those outings will keep us sane through the Winter.

1 comment:

sarah said...

A reading fort is a great idea!! You may also want to give them some modelling beeswax or crayons and paper, or something like that, to keep their hands occupied while they listen.

You have a lovely weblog :-)