Monday, September 29, 2008

Continuing Education

We are and I am. We started the day with more from The Phantom Tollbooth. This book has such great words in it. It plays on words in such a fun way. I love it, but I'm afraid much of it is lost on the children. There are words in there that even I don't know. It's neat how the language is simple but the vocabulary thrown in is higher level.

The interest from the children ebbs and flows. Connor is sometimes very loud and distracting, but I love that he wants to be with us while we're reading. Especially, since we're trying to learn an appreciation for language. Maybe we will see how warm the playhouse feels tomorrow morning. We can read in there if it's not too hot.

I had Aria start a writing journal today. I told her to write about anything for fifteen minutes. She gave me permission to post it.

My Summer!
By Aria

My summer was awesome! I love to go swimming on Summer Break! But it gets hot here is the summer. It goes up to 100 degrees in the summer.

Family!
By Aria

I love my family because they take good care of me and they'll never give up on me. They buy me clothes, food, they give me lots of love and care. On my birthday they get me gifts and that's better then nothing. Casey may not like me, but I know my other family does, like Connor, Mommy, Daddy, Loli, Nanny, and Paw Paw. My family dances and sings, but sometimes they're embarrassing. Lol. But most of the time they defend me.


I especially like the part about her family will never give up on her. I hope she knows that to be true with all her heart.

Casey and I colored an 'M' and an 'S' and reviewed the sounds they make. We looked at some flashcards with 'M' words and 'S' words. I taught them a funny song for the 'M' sound. He knows the sounds and did just wonderfully.

Ronnie came home early from work because he wasn't feeling up to snuff. So, I took the kids to the park to collect more leaves for another Fall craft project. We played on the park equipment, took a long hike and climbed a scary 'cliff' face and saw squirrels and a lizard. Oh, and we collected leaves.

Then we practiced our math facts with the dreaded worksheet. I only had Casey do the first ten and he whipped through them in just a few seconds. Aria went through 30 of them very quickly, including the new ones. Then we played a game of addition rummy and Casey won. He wanted to play another game and Aria didn't. She went off to play and Casey and I played another game. I won that one.

At one point he had a 1, 3, 0, and -. (In this game we have to make a true mathematical statement.) He put the 1 down then the - and the 3 = 0. I asked him how he could take three away from one, but it didn't matter to him that you couldn't. He just thought I've got one and if I start taking them away I'll have zero. I told him that was math for later and we couldn't do that in this game. :)

I also learned quite a bit about brakes today from my husband. I had a brief but informative tutorial on axle assemblies, drum brakes, disc brakes, read wheel drive, and front wheel drive. Don't quiz me on any of it, but I think I have a decent understanding. Enough to be sure that I could never do any brake work on any vehicle ever.

Why would anyone ever stop learning? It's so funny!

No comments: