Friday, January 9, 2009

Smart People


Aria worked particularly hard today to get her work done. Not only that but she was interested in what she was doing. She spent much of the morning looking at The Human Body book. We talked extensively about reproduction and well as the real life emotional issues of having a baby. (Can't do that in school.)

She worked on her place value review and on decimals. She learned how tenths, hundredths, and thousandths worked. By the end she was able to compare greater than, less than or equal to in decimals with moderate comprehension. I was very proud.

She then worked on her reading comprehension worksheet. These worksheets are pretty dumb and kinda boring. I don't know if I will continue with them. I think I may just find articles online and write my own questions up about them. Then I can pick things that are interesting to her and/or are necessary to know. I don't really know how knowing about the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia is going to help her in the long run.

Casey worked on his reading and math sheets. Last night we played a rousing game of 4-Way Countdown. His reading is getting quicker and quicker. On of these days he's gonna take off and never look back. He was full of confidence today. I said, "You really are a very good reader. I don't know what you were worried about." He said, "Me, either."

Even Connor worked about two minutes on a worksheet with me. Then the moment was over and he proceeded to scribble on the sheet.

We then watched a short video about Molly Pitcher here.

2 comments:

Amy Dingmann said...

Sounds busy at your house! The human reproductive system was touched on here earlier this week...sounds like it was much more "productive" at your house. The boys ask me all the time "so, where do babies come from?" and I say "what exactly do you want to know?" and then start answering questions on their level...and suddenly they don't want to know much more. Darnit...I guess you're not supposed to REALLY answer those questions, are you ;)

Great to hear the condfidence in reading is there. That helps immensely. I have a reader here who is pretty sure he can't read anything...even though if he's not looking at a "book", he's sounding things out all day. What is your secret??

jbantau said...

I get the zoned out look a lot when I start answering a question like that. I think they just really want a two word explanation and then to go off to play.

This Human Body book is really neat though and it reminds me of the first time I saw pictures of a fetus in utero. The ones I saw were all illustrations. The ones my kids get to look at are actual babies. I think the pictures stimulate the want to know. (And I've got an eleven-year-old girl who is very concerned with these matters.)

As for the secret to confidence in reading, I don't know either. Usually, Casey is the same way as your son. He can sound out just about anything but finds it too much work or something. So he just says, "I can't read." But today he just seemed to get quite a boost from the sheet we were doing. Maybe it was because it was more like review. And sometimes he's just very, very sure of his own prowess, annoyingly sure.

It is nice, though, to be able to go back and do some 'remedial' work without some other kid telling him he's a dummy 'cause he's not reading on a certain level.